Sunday, July 5, 2009

Cornmeal Coush Coush (Donald Link)

I did not eat coush coush growing up. My mother made either biscuits or cornbread on Sunday morning. I often ate it crumbled up with milk and fig preserves. She called it cornbread milk but never coush coush. Later in life when I finally ate what most people call coush coush I really liked it. That version is a cornmeal batter fried and steamed on top of the stove. The following is a cornmeal batter fried then baked in the oven. My mother always used yellow and this calls for white.

Ingredient line up
Mise en place

Batter frying away
Finished product
Crumbed cornmeal coush coush with cafe au lait ready to pour in and tallow tree honey to sweeten. If I would have had some steens or fig preserved that would have gone in
All I need now is a big spoon.

While this version is fine I am sticking to the fried and steamed. With that process you can make a bottom crust a number of times. I usually do five and stir them back in. It is obvious I like crust. Also I seldom use white meal. It seems like a finer grind and I like mine a little coarser. In fact I generally used stone ground. To each his own





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

care to provide a recipe? thanks

Arthur "The Bear" Hebert said...

I have been out of town. I use Ms Lucy's recipe out of Classic Cajun

1/2 cups oil
2 cups yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups water

Heat oil in heavy skillet. Combine rest of ingredients. Pour in the hot skillet and allow it to form a crust. Stir in up. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes. Serve with milk like cereal. Top with favorite preserve. I use bacon fat or lard if available. I make a half recipe which is perfect for me. I let the crust form at least 3 times. I sometimes put it in cafe au lait. I prefer fig, fig syrup or cane syrup.