Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Orange Buttermilk Pie (Donald Link)

My aunt made the best buttermilk pie. I have been on a life long quest to find its like. The one I had at Cochon came close. If it had been a pure buttermilk pie if would have. Instead it had berries in it. I had high hopes for this recipe in the cookbook. True it has some satsuma juice in it (orange in my case as satsumas are not in season) but I could see that flavor in it. It also calls for a graham cracker crust while my aunt's used a regular crust.

Below are the ingredients
Mise en place with the buttermilk, juice and butter ready to go into the egg mixture
The custard in the pie shell
The baked product
A slice with some buttermilk ice cream. Recipe to follow in series
What can I say I blew this big time. I forgot the cardinal rule of baking custard. You leave a lot of wiggle in it. I baked mine almost solid. The flavor was ok but the texture all wrong. This is so easy to make I am not giving up on it. But it will have to wait for another time.





No comments: