Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Vickie T's

OUT AND ABOUT
Vickie T’s Cafe Connection
1004 Broad St
Lake Charles, LA
337-433-8139
Monday - Saturday 6:00 AM to 12:00 PM $1 to $8
This old gas station has been converted to a donut shop/plate lunch place. At this time the plate lunches are only available three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. They also stay open an hour later until 1 PM when serving the lunches. I popped by one morning to sample the donuts and some breakfast items they have. I opted for a mixed dozen of their choice for work. I received regular, chocolate glazed and cinnamon rolls. The ones I tasted were above average. A nice venue if you work in the area and like to treat the office. I also got a Jalapeno Cheese Sausage Kolach. They use biscuit dough and bake them. That puts them ahead of the fried ones but behind ones using regular dough in my opinion. The Bacon Egg Cheese Croissant was a disaster. They nuke and it was like rubber by the time I ate it. As a food buyer I recognized every part of this item as coming already made and just slapped together. Not a bad option for a small place like this except they want to nuke it instead of using a oven to heat it up
I passed through on a Monday for the plate lunch. It was Sausage and Red Gravy over rice with yams, green beans, roll and a chocolate eclair. It turned out to be a decent meal. Mid grade sausage and a slightly spicy tomato based sauce on a pile of edible rice. Both the yams and beans came from cans but they doctored them up so they tasted fine. The eclair was a nice surprise. I would suspect they are finding a use for unsold product, not a problem with me. In general this is a convenient establishment for me to whiz through. Helps that they don’t serve terrible food.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19303948

No comments: