Thursday, February 25, 2010

DeAngelo's

OUT AND ABOUT

Louis DeAngelos
121 Dr Michael DeBakey Drive
Lake Charles, LA
337-3107499

Lunch 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM $1 to $26
Dinner 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM

By now you have probably been to the new Louis DeAngelos and I am preaching to the choir. I think this latest incarnation is way better than the previous in both food and atmosphere. I love the new open dinning room abet a bit more noisy. I did not care for the rabbit warren that it was before. I like the use of wood especial in the bar. The service seems a bit erratic with people falling over each other to delivery it. One time three different people told me that he or she was my server

First time back I started with a cup of Shrimp and Corn Bisque. The aroma announced the tender corn, flavorful shrimp and spice upon arrival at the table. A spoonful delivered on that promise. I got the Garlic Mozzarella Cheese Bread to go along. Did not stay under the broiler long enough for my taste. Next up Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms. This has to be one of the best I’ve ever eaten. Crimni or baby bellas stuffed with shrimp, spinach, and smoked mozzarella. The mushroom somehow dewatered presented a meaty texture and flavor that compliment the sweet shrimp, bitter green and smoke of the cheese. After that the Spinach Florentine Flatbread arrived. I am not much of a pizza person mainly because of the sauce. This amalgamation of shrimp, pancetta, spinach, roasted garlic and Asiago cheese without sauce I could eat all day every day. The combination of flavors and textures strike my palate just right. My dessert of bread pudding was not right and more about that later.

Second time was with friends. We ordered Crispy Artichokes and La Caprese. The lemon and herb marinated artichokes were fried perfectly and just as tasty by themselves as dipped in the marinara sauce. A row of overlapping mozzarella, tomato and basil leaves dressed with oil and balsamic vinegar with a scattering of capers brought summer to an otherwise wintry day. I ate the Tuscan Minestrone. Seasonal vegetables simmered in a tomato broth with herbs and white beans, a shield for the wintry day. My Artistic friend ordered the Linguine Napoli with shrimp. The mixture of spinach and shitake mushroom in the white wine tomato basil sauce proved divine as she utter under her breath “the mushrooms, the mushrooms”. My Particular friend got the Bleu Burger. An eight ounce chuck patty topped with Gorgonzola, caramelized onion and red onion, roma tomato and wild greens in a balsamic dressing, another winner. My taste almost caused an orgasmic experience in my mouth. I opted for Baked Eggplant Parmigiano. With the slices of cooked eggplant layered with tomato sauce, pesto, mozzarella and Asiago, I got a hearty and satisfying dish with no pasta and my favorite vegetable along with big blast of cheese. We shared a Tiramisu, which was above standard

Last time in was dinner. I started with Fried Ravioli. Large pillows with an abundance of ricotta cheese and a greaseless crust. I went with the Fresh Catch, salmon. They prepared it as a deconstructed Salad Nicoise. The sauteed potato crusted salmon was topped with an olive tapende. Sauteed haricot vert and grape tomtoes sat atop a garlic aioli. The flavors blended well in many variations. I was quite pleased as this reminded me of a trip to France. I got the Pesto Orzo Salad as a side. Perhaps the best thing I ate there. It is essentially a cold pasta salad with grape tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, herbs, and oil. It contains bold colors and bright flavors. Sometimes the best things are the simplest. This well-balanced side would make any dish sparkle.

When chef/owner Ben Herrera dropped by my table I told him of my bread pudding experience. He immediately saw the problem and then made one for me the correct way. It came out with lots of custard soaked bread with a sugar crunch on top and melting hazelnut cream a delight to eat. I need say no more about this place

http://picasaweb.google.com/adhebert148/LouisDeAngelo#slideshow

http://www.louisdeangelos.com/locations.php

No comments: