Sunday, February 14, 2010

Burns Dinner 2010

There was a smaller crowd this year because of all the competing events including Valentines Day and Mardi Gras. It was held at and catered by The Brick House. The fare at this event is pretty much the same over the world. But I was interested in seeing how they handled as they are planning on opening an Irish Pub around St Patrick's day next month. Below is Cock-a-leekie essentially chicken and vegetable soup with a strong onion component. The flavor was wonderful and had a nice spice level. But as I ate more the more salty it seemed to be. Below it is the haggis. A canned product. I like it mainly because I like organ meat. It contains a wheat product instead of rice. If it had been made with rice it would be more like a southwest la dish called ponce.

The main meal consisted of roast beef, mashed potatoes, mashed neeps (rutabaga), and green beans. The roast beef was tender and flavorful especially in the garlic department. The mashed potatoes were light and tasty. A simple approach on the rutabagas left them smooth and also let their natural spiciness show through. I have been eating this vegetable from childhood as my father grew them in his garden, The beans proved a bit different as their contained a significant sugar component as did the bacon. Seemed to me they wanted a caramel effect. Quite good.
As in my last meal here the food was room temperature.
Last was a bread pudding or as the Scots would call it Bread and Butter Pudding. Overall it was good however it contained nuts which I do not care for in bread pudding


After dinner we were treated to bagpipe music (Lone Star Pipe Band), songs with lyrics from Burns poems,an a capella group , and poetry. All seemed to enjoy it.

No comments: