Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pitt Grill Prien Lake

OUT AND ABOUT

Pitt Grill
602 West Prien Lake Road
Lake Charles LA
337-564-6724
www.pittgrill.com

Seven days a week 24 hours a day $1 to $15


This new construction marks the return of this longtime establishment to the city where it started. It sparkles like only a new place can. Three things are different than most of the other iterations. First of all do not go looking for a buffet, it has none. Second it has an espresso machine so it can make most coffee drinks your local coffee shop can. Three it has a drive thru window. You order by phone and then pick it up. Convenient for some but I feel diner food should be eaten fresh from the kitchen.

First time in I went for the plate lunch, fried chicken, potato salad and dirty rice with garlic pan bread. It took awhile because they were frying to order (better than grabbing it off the buffet). Well worth the wait. Three pieces consisting of wing, drumstick and half breast arrived. It came out really crisp with the interior moist and tender. Very close to my sister’s when she used to cook for her kids. The potato salad had sweet relish rather than dill which made it a plus in my eyes. The dirty rice was outstanding also with lots of meat, not to mushy, and a hint of liver. It was all around great lunch.

Next came the Southern Breakfast. Two eggs sunny side up, corned beef hash, grits and biscuits. Eggs were perfect and the rest near perfect. I can not help but feel that the Hwy 14 operation does it just a bit better. However nothing intrinsically wrong with this one. I ate everything. I ordered a Blue Cheese Bacon Burger with Onion rings. The rings were OK but the coating a little thicker than I like. Some kind of miscommunication resulted in the burger being sans bacon. However the well griddled sweet sourdough bun, moist and succulent hand formed patty, and blue cheese crumbles more than satisfied me. The gestalt of the bites taken stood out. Good Burger

Lastly I got Chicken and Sausage Gumbo and a Hamburger Steak. The gumbo proved fantastic. Dark roux with a thin broth well spiced with sausage, and tender well flavored chicken with rice on the side, virtually my ideal gumbo. I love a good hamburger steak. However lately I have been receiving pre-fab stuff that is cooked to death (lifeless, chewy and dry). I took a chance here because the hamburger seemed hand formed. I was not sorry. The steak had a nice char on it but moist and juicy through out. I added chili and cheese in addition to the gravy and sautéed onions. That proved a winner also. The flavor profile of a bite containing all was exquisite. They offer a bake potato with it. It came out with disposable cups of butter, cheese, real bacon bits and a pouch of sour cream. A long time since I indulged it that.

I like this one for lunch and dinner. Although I think I will stick closer to home for breakfast. At first they were some minor glitches like silverware making to the table but by my last visit they were resolved. It seems to be running smoothly with a friendly helpful staff. The thing I like best is it has no buffet. The kitchen can concentrate of fixed your meal than turning out bulk food.


1 comment:

Russell Warner said...

AS A LOCAL RESIDENT OF LAKE CHARLES, AND KNOWN BY NAME BY THE RESTAURANT MANAGER I WAS SHOCKED TO FIND (AFTER EATING AND ENJOYING THE FOOD) WITH NO SIGN ON DISPLAY, THE PITT GRILL
DOES NOT TAKE CHECKS ON LOCAL BANKS.
WHAT IF I HAD NO CASH WITH ME?????
PLEASE POST A SIGN "NO CHECKS".