Friday, March 11, 2011

Mikey's Kitchen

OUT AND ABOUT
Mikey’s Kitchen
909 East Napoleon Street
Sulphur LA
337-287-4889

Monday thru Sunday 6 AM to 10:00 PM $1 to $23

This building has been around for awhile. It was a bar in my youth and a plate lunch place most of the rest of the time. The new owner continues the tradition. With its spiffy interior and good home cooking it remains a great neighborhood place

First round was a cup of Shrimp and Crab Gumbo. Really nice flavor with a back note of crab boil spice. It had lots of shrimp and for my taste too much rice. It ate like rice and gravy. Tasty but I prefer mine a little brothier. Next perfect Boudin Balls came out. A flour crust that was crisp and not greasy revealing an interior of shredded meant and perfect rice with a nice spice snap. I could eat these all day. The finale was excellent Fried Oysters and onion rings. The oysters possessed perfectly crisp crusts and moist juicy interiors, not overcooked and just the way I love them. The rings were medium cut, flour coated and wonderful. Again a way I love them

On a Friday plate lunch I ran into Shrimp Stew. It was thinner than I normally prefer but the shrimp flavor stood out. They gave less rice than the gumbo so this one ate like a gumbo. At this point I am just picking nits. The main thing here is not how it eats but rather the flavor as you eat it. The flavor was there in spades and I left a happy camper and would come back for more. The topper was the excellent banana pudding made in house and put the final touches on a great meal.

Establishments in Sulphur in my experience fry things well. It seems to be in their genes (jeans).
This place is no exception I thought as I tackled my Deluxe Seafood Platter. On a hill of fries were hushpuppies, popcorn shrimp, butterflied shrimp, catfish fillet, frog legs, crab cakes, stuffed shrimp, oysters, and a soft shell crab. The frog legs, butterfly shrimp, and soft shell crab has a flour coating and were excellent. The oysters, popcorn shrimp and catfish sported more of a corn meal crust and proved delicious. The crab cake and stuffed shrimp had a cracker meal crust and the thank God the stuffing had not been overworked. The in house hushpuppies suffered from not being fried all the way. Fries were ok. I like a good seafood platter every once in awhile and this certainly hit the spot.

Last time in was the Mikey Burger. I like a good burger and this one was good tasting and plentiful. My only complaint as with most stacked burgers the bun never stands up to them. This mouthful had two juicy patties. One topped with bacon and American cheese and the other with bacon and Swiss along with tomato, onion, and lettuce. It took awhile but I finished it enjoying every bite

I enjoy this place a lot. The snug feeling dinning room with a large party room in back. The friendly and competent staff was a joy. However sometimes the kitchen and servers can get overwhelmed but it all turns out alright in the end. They do
breakfast and if I ever get over there that early I will report on it on the blog



No comments: