Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Abes Tamales?

Going home I pass by the former Abe's grocery on Hwy 14 virtually every day. Yesterday I noticed there was a Coca Cola sign saying Abe's Tamales. I break for tamales. Unfortunately they were Mickey Brown's tamales. Did not like them. They had a stone ground cornmeal outer layer and a nasty tasting interior. They kept repeating on me all night. The nasty taste I think was an over abundance of cumin. The good news is that part of the Abe's building is still inhabited by Abe's cashing checks and selling things like boudin, Tony Chachere frozen goods produce here in LC by Abe's, and two of my favorite brands of pie (Mrs Johnny's and Cajun out of Lafayette). Reason enough to stop in every once and awhile








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you should leave a phone number so people can call you with your unfair reviews

Arthur "The Bear" Hebert said...

I am in the phone book. You should lead by example and put your name and phone number instead of hidding behind anonymous

kendwade said...

I am a Kidney Dialysis patient who has to watch his sodium intake. "Abe's 'Mickey Brown' Tamales have only 80Mg of sodium per tamale. This is nothing compared to other brands on the market. I buy mine at Rouses Supermarket in Lafayette and have never had a bad tamale.

Kendwade