Wednesday, March 31, 2010

O B's

OUT AND ABOUT

OB’s
1301 Ryan St
Lake Charles, LA
337-494-7336
www.obsbarandgrill.com

Monday to Friday 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM $3 to $15
5:00 PM to 9:00 PM

After not serving food for awhile a couple of months ago they started up again. Sources told me the new guy liked to do things from scratch. I made an exploratory trip. The menu and quality were such I decided on a full review

I started with a cup of gumbo. A Chicken and Sausage one with deep dark roux, loads of flavor and medium spice. Rice came separate, which is a plus in my book. Next up were in-house Boudin Balls. Using a quality boudin there were hand formed balls of delight with a crisp coating and not grease soaked. Best I’ve had in ages. Ribeye and Swiss on Jalapeno bun consisted of sliced ribeye steak and melted cheese. The slices proved tender, juicy and beefy with the bun adding a nice spice note. The in-house onion rings I got with it were perfect.

I then went with a Fried Shrimp Dinner. I could tell they were hand-battered. I prefer just seasoned flour on mine but these grew on me. Fresh and from scratch makes a difference. French fries were OK but went south as they cooled. They do a daily plate lunch. Check the website or call for it. I happened on BBQ Brisket Tuesday. I received three perfect slices of smoked meat (nice smoke ring) with a sweet sauce on the side. They were accompanied by excellent baked beans (smoky BBQ flavor) and a decent potato salad.

I tried the Jalapeno Burger next. To my surprise no jalapeno slices. However it comes on a Jalapeno bun, with Jalapeno mayonnaise and pepper jack cheese along with sauteed onions. I added bacon. The lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles come on the side. It turned out to be a nice juicy beefy spicy mouthful without totally wrecking your taste buds. Last by not least an Open Face Steak sandwich. This is a hand pounded hand battered chicken fried steak on a bun. It was cooked to perfection and non-greasy although the batter proved a bit bland. It did come with a little tub of cream gravy. I just put mine on the meat. I guess you could dunk it also.

All I can say the food is back at this popular bar and it is bad (excellent of course)

http://www.obsbarandgrill.com/

http://tinyurl.com/yz5nj5x

No comments: