Saturday, October 10, 2009

Two Amigos

OUT AND ABOUT
Two Amigos
312 East Miller Rd
Iowa, LA
337-582-2427
11:00 AM to 9:00 PM Seven days a week $2 to $12
Few things changed here either outside or inside except for the signage since the last venue. The food in general is good but can be a bit strange. Chips and salsa hit the table first. Decent chips and the salsa seem to have a roasted pepper component, medium spicy. First time in I started with a Queso Flameado. I received a bowl full of chunked fajita chicken topped with a little cheese, not to my taste. My previous experience with this dish was a little protein in a sea of broiled cheese. It was all about the cheese to me and the dish here is all about the meat. The entree, Spicy Shrimp, made up for it. Large shrimp cooked in a chile paste served fajita style with peppers and onions on a cast iron sizzler skillet with flour tortillas, Spanish rice, refried beans, lettuce, pico de gallo and guacamole. The tortillas came wrapped in deli paper in a straw basket. The rice was very dry and the beans seemed straight from a can. The pico had too much cilantro (taste like soap to me) but the guacamole was OK. The story here consisted of spicy and savory shrimp with great flavor. I also got a piece of flan that was pretty good.
Next time I stared with Chile con Queso that was wonderful. White cheese with sautéed onions and poblano peppers that went down a treat. The Tamale lunch proved not as good. Very strange tamales (the masa was a rolled sheet) with little flavor and even less meat. You also get a Crispy Taco. A five-inch corn tortilla fried in the shape of a bowl with taco fixings in it. I could determine no way to eat it out of hand so had to resort to knife and fork. It was ok but just not the same as a regular taco shape. The Tres Leches Cake was a bit of a let down also. Nice and moist on the bottom half and dry as the desert on the top.
Next meal I started with a Cheese Puff. I received that corn tortilla shell used for the taco turned upside down with chile con queso on top. The cheese was good, again not what I expected and certainly less. The Fajita Chipotle saved the day. Strips of beef cooked in a smoky and spicy chile paste. Made wonderful music in my mouth with the standard fajita fixings, definitely good eating. I also enjoyed what they called Cinnamon Sticks (Churros) straight out of the fryer for dessert. They rolled them in cinnamon sugar and that made them hot and sweet.
Last foray was Carne Guisada. The spicy pork stew consisted of chunks of pork, tomatoes, onions and jalapenos, very spicy but extremely tasty. Even the refried bean and rice seemed a bit better. I ended with Sopapilla. Puffed up and tossed in cinnamon sugar. They would have been perfect except this place does not serve them with honey
This establishment certainly has it ups and downs. The service is attentive; atmosphere OK but the interpretation of some dishes leaves me a bit cold. My advice is to stick to the Two Amigos Specials page. That is where I was most satisfied. I am told that the Chef’s Special on this page is worth it. There are also several other dishes on that page I intend on eating. In my experience ordering off the rest of the menu proved risky business.


http://picasaweb.google.com/adhebert148/TwoAmigos#

No comments: