Monday, March 30, 2009

La Truffe Sauvage

Well last Friday after another long and stressful week I was looking for something great. When I pulled up I realized that I did not have my camera. So I will have to do it old style. Paint a picture with words



I started with my go to aperitif the Negroni. Equal parts gin, campari and sweet vermouth served straight up (martini style). They went a little heavy with the campari so it was just a tad bitter than I really care for. However it is such a pretty color (garnet) that I just sucked it up



First up was Angus Beef Carpaccio beef tenderloin, pounded paper thin, served with dijon mustard, extra virgin olive oil, Parmigiana Reggiano, crostini & lemon. I really wish I had a picture because it was more a work of art than plate of food. Paper thin beef covered the plate with a ring of shaved parmesan around it. In the middle three conchions formed a triangle with dijon in the middle. Trails of black pepper and olive oil made designs on the beef. Three crostini of french bread artfully placed I used to transfer the beef and such my mouth. I also experiment with adding lemon juice to the beef. I tried all combinations and most were successful. The lemon beefed up the beef taste. This was the first time I've had this and it was a delight.



The soup of the day came next. It was a Cream of Celery Root with Shrimp. I received a bowl of pale green soup with small to medium shrimp scattered in it. I do not particularly care for the taste of celery but I understand that celeriac is lest potent. That proved to be the case. The soup had a rich vegetal flavor (sort of green) with only an under-note of celery. Well within my tolerance. They heated the soup to such a degree that they added the shrimp raw and it received a gentle poach. Therefore the sweetness of the shrimp came through along with a soft texture. This contrast with the rich and earthy soup made this dish. I can still taste it



The salad of the day was a Caprese. I basically I got three towers consisting of a large slice of beefsteak tomato topped with buffalo mozzarella, kalamata olives, and chiffonade of basil. Pesto, pine nuts, olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled over the top and along side. Again picture perfect. If the tomatoes had been a tad riper it would have been perfect. A single bite contained the acid of the tomato, bland tang of the mozzarella, saltiness of the olive, unctuous of oil , anise flavor of basil, nutty crunch of pine nuts and the sweetness of the balsamic. A true symphony of flavors in my mouth



Pan Sautéed Tender Calamari with olive oil, fresh garlic, parsley & lemon, served with roasted red pepper aioli turned out a little different that I expected but delicious. I was expecting calamari steaks but got rings instead. However the style in which it was done reminded me of Salt and Pepper Calamari. As this is a favorite of mine this dish found favor with me. Rings in a light coating flash fried then stir fried with a mixture of garlic, parsley and lemon(gremoulade) gave it a Mediterranean touch rather than a oriental flavor. The aioli made a wonderfull dipping sauce. In the end it suited my mood (light rather than heavy). They were also were very tender.



I got a White Chocolate Crème Brulée traditional French custard with a crisp caramel shell accented with perfectly ripe raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. I could have a bowl of this fruit and been satisfied. This is the third brulle in as many weeks. It was perfect in it own way. Perfect sugar shell over a minimum of great custard. Arthur Durham sent out Frozen Nougat with Dried Fruit and Nuts figs, currants, cherries, toasted almonds & walnuts folded in a light honey mousse because he did not realize I had this the last time I came in for lunch. It is an excellent nice ending to a heavy dinner. Not too sweet a little cool and chewy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truffe is spelled wrong!