Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Full Do's

OUT AND ABOUT
Full Do’s
1751 Opelousas
Lake Charles, LA
337-433-8085
Monday - Friday 10:30 AM to 6:00 PM $1-$10
There have been several unsuccessful venues at this building. However I think these sisters have cracked the nut. A new colorful facade and paint job on the outside combined with a new look inside along with good solid food and their personalities are sure to make for success. My eminent colleague at the American Press gave you the back-story and some menu choices. I am here to give you the details. While they primarily do plate lunches they also do short orders which I did not explore. Good wholesome Creole country cooking in a convivial atmosphere is the standard here.
I started with Smothered Liver and Onions on the Thursday menu. I love this combo. It came with rice, green beans and mac & cheese. That day they used cow’s liver, which has a stronger liver taste (right up my alley). The pan gravy proved excellent over their fine rice, spicy and flavorful. The beans doctored with some bacon, superb. The mac & cheese seemed to be under salted, quickly remedied.
A Tuesday meal of Smothered Tripe and Pigs Feet with collards and cabbage feed my soul. Some of the best cabbage I've ever eaten. It managed to be sweet, spicy and savory at the same time. The collards were just bitter enough to counter the richness of the tripe and pigs feet. The seasoning on the tripe and pig’s feet was right on. While tasty they were slightly undercooked for my taste, not excessively so and entirely edible. Partly my fault as I come earlier (excited about the meal) than is my wont. Another hour in the pot and they would have been perfect
Don’t worry last time in I went with something everybody would want to eat. I was aiming for Meatloaf Wednesday but they were in-between loafs. They offered Meatballs and Gravy, great. You can tell a lot about a plate lunch place by their meatloaf or meatballs. I got these with turnip green and black-eyed peas. Three huge meatballs arrived at the table. They were almost perfect (spicy, meaty, and flavorful without being dense) except they were on the salty side. I suspect a salt based seasoning may have been added after some salt. Broken apart and mixed with the rice they were delicious. The peas and greens complimented a square of sweet cornbread. What can I say? Good Food, Good Loving, Good Gosh I wish I was there now.


http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21461800

No comments: