Monday, October 13, 2008

Pho Tien

This family style Vietnamese joint is on of my favorite restaurants in town. I am usually there at least twice a month. However for the last couple of months I have not been even once. Today looking for lunch I rectified that. My favorite starter here is the steamed pork dumplings. I like the spring rolls and this place does many varieties but two rolls are just too much food. This is just right. The soft dough with the savory meat filling dipped in a dark soy based slightly spicy (sesame oil) sauce. Just taste right to me. It balances the sweet, salty, spicy and sour.

I have many favorites here but they also like to broaden their menu by using a menu board with some different things. I like to try the new also. The latest is Banh Xeo (also called Vietnamese or Saigon Crepe). Do not be fooled by it color. That is caused by turmeric either straight or in a curry mix. The batter is a combo of rice flour and regular flower and may contain some egg. But it is a true crepe and not an omelet. This one is stuffed with shrimp, pork slices, sprouts and onions sauteed together and stuffed in the crepe. The traditional way to eat it is to cut a small portion. Then tear off a cup size section from the lettuce. Put the crepe portion along with whatever herbs and pickled items you desire. Twist it up like a bundle, dip in the nuoc cham (fish sauce mixture) and eat. You see many other items from Tien's menu if you come here enough.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I went to Pho Thien tonight, and based upon your suggestion, I had the Banh Xeo. It was a killer of a dish - loved it. Thanks for your review.
Charles Ware
Charleylake@yahoo.com

Arthur "The Bear" Hebert said...

Always a pleasure especially when people like what I am enthusiastic about