Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Grits Weekend

Here is the start. A cup of grits, salt and 4 cups of liquid. Water in this case. Plug in the crock pot and 12 hours later my perfect grits. Thick, stiff and full of flavor



The finished product after 12 hours of slow cooking. I put it on about 8 PM and unplug it about 8 AM leaving in the insert in the cooker. This keeps it warm for several hours I do more of a brunch than breakfast.



I do cafe au lait while I read my paper.


After paper, Internet and crossword I do my meal. This one is Burger's ham steak with red eye gravy, eggs sunny side up, frozen biscuits (Pillsbury) and grits with butter. Mind you I only do this on the weekend and usually on one day especially if it is a full bore like this one

I take the insert out of the cooker and let the grits cool off to room temperature. I then make a grit souffle with what ever I have around. This one is grits, eggs, Mexican cheese, chipotle paste, nuoc cham, and Usingers smoked pork butt.




It goes into a loaf pan and into the tabletop oven. This one because it made so much had to cook for an hour. A lot of times it is half and cooks in thirty minutes


The final product. GB&D Golden Brown and Delicious. I ate half for my supper and the other half pan fried for breakfast.


The bottom half of the grits I put in the frig in the crock and the next morning cut into cubes. I then seasoned them and tossed in flour. Then they go into a deep fat fryer until you guessed it GB&D

These I treat like Brabant potatoes. I had bought a skirt steak in the discount meat bin. Put it in a no salt mesquite wet marinade overnight and grilled in my table top appliance. Nuked some carrots in butter and voila Sunday supper


That is how I use up 4 cups of stone ground grits. Sometimes I don't do it all in the weekend but spread it out but for photo continuity I did it over two days. Most times I do grits with two breakfast items, the souffle with less grits and finally the brabant grits with a dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to know more about your grits-in-a-slow-cooker method. I am providing food for my family reunion at the end of November, and I will be serving grits & grillades. I've never cooked grits in a slow cooker...so the ratio is 4 parts liquid to 1 part grits? This will make my food prep a great deal easier....

Arthur "The Bear" Hebert said...

That is what I do. 1 part grits to 4 parts water salted to taste. I normally let go 11 to 12 hours on low. That makes it pretty thick and stiff the way I like it. To make it less thick do not cook as long. Maybe check at 9 hours or so. If not to your liking let go some more until the way you like it