Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Serranos 3347 Highland Road Baton Rouge, LA 70809-1970 (225) 344-2354

I went to lunch at this long time favorite of Baton Rouge situated at the gates of the university next to The Chimes.  The tortilla chips were fresh and I liked the salsa.  Good start
I got the  Ceviche for starters.  Fresh flounder, onions, serranos, citrus, avocado and pico de gallo.  This was arranged like a deconstructed dish.  I swear Blue Coyote must have come here for inspiration as this is the stupidest way I have seen ceviche done.  All the components were good but they would have been better mixed together.  However the serving dish was so small and the portion so large you could not do that.
Next was Dos Cubanos "The Two Cubans" The perfect combination of Cuban steak and marinated Cuban pork roast. Cuban Pork Carnitas is a marinated pork roast with garlic, spices, and grilled onions topped with our signature orange and lime mojo. Cuban Steak is grilled skirt steak topped with sautéed onions and finished with our tequila lime marinade.  These two were excellent.  Tender and full of flavor.  I especially loved the grilled onions.  Again the problem was too much food in too little a serving vessel.  I struggled to cut up the meat.
I got the Chile Lime Grilled Corn cobette and the Sweet Fried Plantains as sides.  No complaints here.
For dessert surprise Tres Leche A rich cake soaked in condensed milk, whole milk, and evaporated milk.  I know but I cannot pass it up and this one was worth it.  Fully soaked and delicious.  I would return here no problem except I would ask for a plate to mix thing on.

No comments: