Monday, December 27, 2010

The Seafood Palace 2218 Enterprise Blvd, Lake Charles, LA 70601. Tel: (337) 433-9293.

Seem like there were a bunch of like minded people here Monday. I watched as bowl after bowl of gumbo made their way to the dining room. My usual accompaniment to my gumbo (fried oysters (some of the best in town)) was not available. So I went with a crab pistollette. What's not to like: fried bread and steaming hot spicy crab stew. Lovely
There it is. The best seafood gumbo in town bar none. Loaded with small shrimp (by far the tastiest if not overcooked) and shreds of crab meat. You do not need premium food products to make excellent gumbo. It is a poor man's meal made superior by the cook. The broth or juice (as our family called it) make the gumbo. Here it is rich and redolent of seafood with a dark thin nutty roux. Now the second thing that makes this the place for gumbo is that they bring the rice separate. I am sorry gumbo should not be eaten like rice and gravy. There should be more juice than rice. In fact if gumbo is made properly all the flavor is in the broth. I may add file or pepper vinegar later in the meal. These two things enhance the flavor in my opinion. I also will eat it with potato salad or a baked sweet potato (Opelousas style). Now if you poach some eggs in it I will always come to you.
Do you know how hard it is to take a picture of a steaming bowl of gumbo? This picture does it no justice


No comments: