Monday, January 31, 2011

The Fat Cat Cafe

OUT AND ABOUT

The Fat Cat Cafe
723 Ryan St
Lake Charles LA
337-433-4363
www.thefatcatcafe.net
Monday thru Saturday 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM $1 to $10
Sunday 10 AM to 3 PM

Located in the old Chinese King, this establishment offers a lot of options but a majority of the menu is sandwiches. First go round was Chicken and Sausage Gumbo and CHINESE KING Cat. The gumbo suffered from under cooked rice. The sandwich (all of which are named for cats) proved outstanding. It is homage to the former venue. Fried chicken strips tossed in Tong Cho (spicy sweet and sour sauce) on a hoagie bun with Kim Chi (Korean pickled cabbage). The various textures and taste made it a well rounded sandwich for me. The French fries were OK but I never got the garlic flavor from them.

Next time in I ordered Clam Chowder and a TOM Cat. The chowder was good. The Tom is a vegetable sandwich on grilled Foccacia bread. You get grilled zucchini, roasted red bell peppers, caramelized onions, roasted eggplant with Swiss cheese and a marinara sauce. Have to say right away it is sloppy as much of these sandwiches but the deliciousness far out ways the slight inconvenience. The roasting and grilling bring out lots of flavor from the vegetables. I went with the sweet potato fries which were excellent, crispy and tasty.

I took my sister and our baking friend here. My sister went with the TOM and enjoyed it as much as I did. Our friend went with ZOE cat. Italian flatbread spread with roasted jalapeno mayonnaise then roast beef and Swiss stacked up served with an au jus. Looked and smelled fantastic. Up to this point the sandwiches had been heated on way or the other. I went with a cold one. The GEORGE cat on sliced sourdough with mayonnaise and Fat Cat mustard piled with turkey, peppered bacon, black forest ham, cheddar, havarti, red onions & tomato somewhat resembles a “Dogwood”. It tasted fantastic, the bacon and ham adding tremendous flavors. The soup disappointed again. The French Onion soup seemed to be made straight from a bouillon cube, way too salty.

I came in one Friday for breakfast. The veggie THUNDER CAT omelet with spinach, goat cheese, tomato and mushrooms filling a fold over three egg omelet hit the spot, both tasty and filling. Lastly a Sunday Brunch I attended with some old friends and new friends. One old friend tried the Breakfast Jambalaya, basically pork and bacon with vegetables and rice bound by eggs. The other old friend went with the version of Eggs Benedict. Both looked great. My new friend got what I went with and her husband ate Chili Cheese Fries. They smelled delicious but I don’t know if I could stomach them. I have been on a Shrimp and Grits jag. On a bed of cheesy grit’s a sauté of savory mixture of onions, mushrooms, and shrimp tails in a brown sauce. The tasty of the sauté played well against the creamy grits. Sourdough toast only made it better

They do a lot of off the cuff specials. Check the link on the website for Facebook. They usually post them daily. I just have not connected with this but I promise a review on them in the near future. Great addition to downtown dining

The Fat Cat Cafe





No comments: