Friday, January 23, 2009

Pho Tien

On the west end of town to get gas my thoughts always turn to Vietnamese. So it is no surprise I dropped in for lunch. Below is my standard opener of Steamed Pork and Vegetable Dumplings (Banh Xep). The Spring rolls are too much for one person, the Imperial too greasy and meat sticks are not exactly what I want. I spice up the soy dipping sauce with sirachi and all is well with the world. Nice clean taste of pork with the sauce giving the right amount of salt and spice

This is Caramelized Shrimp (Com Tom Rim Man Ngot). The shrimp are lightly glazed with the sauce which is the main carmelization. The sauce with addition of some sirachai is sweet, salty, spicy and sour. The perfect combo. The way I eat this is to dip the shrimp in the sauce then lay on top of the rice so some the sauce gets on the rice. I then eat the shrimp with some of the rice. The Pho Tien salad which consists of lightly pickled carrot and daikon atop cucumbers and tomato slice on lettuce, I eat piece by piece. Again this is my way which I do not know is the correct way but I enjoy it. I understand this dish is considered home fare and rarely seen in a restaurant situation. I enjoy it thoroughly so I am happy these people put it on the menu

Below is Cafe Sua Da. I got little sleep last night so I knew I need a jolt for this afternoon. In an individual brewer CDM (Cafe Du Monde coffee with chicory) is dripped over sweeten condensed milk. When done you stir it up and pour over ice. Super sweet and super bitter in one sip. If you are a coffee freak you have to try this. It will give you a buzz




No comments: